Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Music to Move the Soul

Music is such a personal preference to so many.  What moves one person totally turns the stomach of others.  Even within the church, especially in the United States, music is not only divers but often a subject of debate, it can often become a debate of who is more holy and who worships in a correct manner because of the music.  I am blessed to be able to enjoy different styles at our Anglican church.  The very ancient hymns in the morning, the melodic chanting of prayer on Wednesday and the rockin' band on Sunday evening in koinonia.  It is within that setting we have contemporary music to worship and through all the different styles we are ministered to through the Holy Spirit and Word.   
I am not different from a great deal of people when I say music acts like a tenderizer to my heart and soul.  It was to a song I had never heard before that brought me to my knees in desperation for renewal just a few months ago.  Just hearing it play in my head calms me. It is an unknown in comparison to Chris Tomlin and such.  But it's words and melody remind me of a simple truth.  "Where Can I Go" By Paul Kyle  A song with an Celtic feel. 



Where can I go?
Where can I run to?
Where can I hide,
from the presence of the Lord?

The Lord is near,
near us at all times.
His Spirit is here,
receive Him now.


 When I find myself acting like an orphan, I sing it.    I will often post YouTube videos of music that are currently either ministering to me or representing how I feel.  I can identify with the words.  Sometimes I will see words I really identify with but the music does nothing for me.  But than there are songs where both come together and move me. A few new favorites of mine are Tenth Avenue North and JJ Heller. Both very different in style and content but really touch me deeply.  It was to "Hold My Heart" By Tenth Avenue North that I clung to in the days where it just seemed my prayers were bouncing off the walls and I felt so alone and distant from God. 
Hold My Heart lyrics
Songwriters: Donehey, Michael; Ingram, Jason David; Larue, Phillip;

How long must I pray, must I pray to You
How long must I wait, must I wait for You
How long 'till I see Your face
See You shining through

I'm on my knees
Begging You to notice me
I'm on my knees
Father, will You turn to me, yeah?

One tear in the dropping rain
One voice in a sea of pain
Could the Maker of the stars
Hear the sound of my breaking heart?

One life is all I am
Right now I can barely stand
If You're everything You say You are
Would You come close and hold my heart?

I've been so afraid, afraid to close my eyes
So much can slip away before I say goodbye
But if there's no other way
I'm done asking why

'Cause I'm on my knees
Begging You to turn to me
I'm on my knees
{ From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/t/tenth-avenue-north-lyrics/hold-my-heart-lyrics.html }
Father, will You run to me, yeah?

One tear in the dropping rain
One voice in a sea of pain
Could the Maker of the stars
Hear the sound of my breaking heart?

One life is all I am
Right now I can barely stand
If You're everything You say You are
Would You come close and hold my heart?

So many questions without answers
Your promises remain
I can't see but I'll take my chances
To hear You call my name
To hear You call my name

One tear in the dropping rain
One voice in a sea of pain
Could the Maker of the stars
Hear the sound of my breaking heart?

One life is all I am
Right now I can barely stand
If You're everything You say You are
Would You come close and hold my heart?

Hold my heart
Could You hold my heart?
Hold my heart


I have been challenged to listen to nothing but Christian music. Not in a legalistic way but in a way that will keep me focused and remind me where I am supposed to be in my life.  
One gift I find amazing is when I struggle with reading the Word of God and words seem flat, God has brought me music to show me truths and lead me to worship.  It is than that the words leap off of the pages and make sense. 


It is songs like "I Lift My Hands" by Chris Tomlin that represent the healing and changes God is doing in my life since mid March. 
"I Lift My Hands"

Be still, there is a healer
His love is deeper than the sea
His mercy, it is unfailing
His arms are a fortress for the weak

Let faith arise
Let faith arise

I lift my hands to believe again
You are my refuge, You are my strength
As I pour out my heart, these things I remember
You are faithful, God, forever

Be still, there is a river
That flows from Calvary's tree
A fountain for the thirsty
Pure grace that washes over me

So let faith arise
Let faith arise
Open my eyes
Open my eyes

I lift my hands to believe again
You are my refuge, You are my strength
As I pour out my heart, these things I remember
You are faithful, God
You are faithful, God, forever 



It is songs like this that represent the deep healing that is taking place in my heart and hopefully beginning to pour out into my life.  
There were years when I had become so stoic and cold towards anything other than hymns that I missed out on the blessing of the variety of music from touching my soul.  I am so thankful that time is over and I am again responsive to the language of worship through music.




New International Version (©1984)
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.


Blessings, 
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment